Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 21: Lingering In DC

Once again Dad and I did not have to go anywhere soon that morning, but Pastor Arnie Swift, the assistant route coordinator who had let us stay in his hotel room, was leaving for home. We said goodbye to him and he left. Then we spent much time saying goodbye to Chaplain Dean, who had now been with us for about two weeks. Then he left for Texas to go home.

We got packed on the bike and left for Arlington Assembly of God, where we would be staying for the next week.

We arrived a little before Sunday morning church began. We met our good friend Reverend Mark--not the Mark who was on Run For The Wall, but a different one we had met the year before.

Then we saw Pastor Neubauer, who had taken us to Amish country last year. And then Pastor Lynn, who showed us around and let us stay in the office both this year and last. I meet a lot of pastors and chaplains.

While church was getting ready Pastor Neubauer asked me if I would like to talk about what it is like to be riding on this trip. I figured this would end up like when I had to say the Pledge of Allegiance at the Kentucky Memorial, so I reluctantly agreed.

For about an hour I dreaded it. In Kentucky I just had to quote words that I knew and could repeat easily. But this time I had to think about the words.

Finally I found myself on the stage with the microphone pointed at me. Dad and I had been introduced and Dad was going to speak after me. But now it was my turn.

In a few words I talked about the ride, how great it was and the places I got to go. It was weird at the end. I was searching for words to say: "Sometimes when I see other kids I think to myself, 'Their Dad should take them on a trip like this.'" I'm not sure how it all came out because I kind of blacked out for a few seconds. But somehow I said it and with those last words I finished.

Dad spoke, then several others spoke including a girl my age. I could tell she was nervous too.

We went through seven other speakers before we got to Mr. Russ Cockrum, who was the official speaker of the day. After all of us he only had a few minutes left!

Then Pastor Neubauer took us to "Metro 29," his favorite restaurant in the area. I got stuffed as much as I could, then we went back to the office, where we rested before the evening service began.

There, a guitarist sang and played many Christian songs then preached a little.

After that we went to the same place we had had lunch and stayed up late talking. Finally we went to bed in the office.

1 comment:

  1. We loved following your posts, you captured the Run For The Wall in a very unique way. We are very proud of you.

    Russ & Judy